The winter chill and darkness will be with us a little longer. Perhaps you’re one of those who likes to light a
few candles and settle down for the evening with a warm cup of tea. Or maybe you boil a bowl of soup or heat
some food on the stove. It’s time for an evening in front of your favourite series.
But then the phone rings, and you leave the room to have a chat – just for a while. However, the call takes longer
than you think. The candle you lit is still burning. And the food on the stove is still cooking.
And in the short time you’ve been away, a major fire hazard has developed both for you and your neighbours. This
scenario is not unusual. Around 20,000–25,000 house fires take place in Sweden each year, claiming in the region
of 100 lives. Forgetting to switch off the stove is the most common cause by far.
With this in mind, we’d like to underline how important it is never to leave candles or cooking unattended, and check
that your smoke alarm is working on a regular basis. If you live in a student corridor, you should also check the detector
in the communal kitchen. A fully functioning smoke detector will save the lives of you and your neighbours.
If the worst happens – home insurance
A home insurance policy will help you if the worst happens – and not just financially. A lot of insurance providers can also
provide temporary accommodation, if necessary, as well as help and support in the difficult period following a fire. As the
contract holder, you are responsible for your accommodation – and this includes accidents.
Decontaminating a student room after a fire costs tens of thousands of kronor, not including the cost of evacuating you and
your neighbours and you may have to pay damages.
This is an example of the costs which are carried by the contract holder following a house fire where the tenant is judged to
be at fault. So for your own sake, make sure your home is insured.